Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pizza and Cupcakes...

 ...a match made in heaven!

I haven't been very good at updating this blog, and I've only had it for two weeks! Unfortunately I haven't really had anything juicy to share...

Last weekend I made pizza. I never buy pizza - I always make it at home. Of course I do cheat and use pre-made pizza bases. One day I'll get adventurous and make my own, but for now store-bought is just too convenient.


I make the sauce by mixing more or less equal parts of tomato paste and tomato pesto, Italian dried herbs, a spoonful of crushed garlic, a dash of paprika, salt and pepper to taste, and a little water to thin it out. I always make two pizzas. One has thinly sliced and roasted potatoes, and the other thinly sliced and roasted zucchini. Beyond these two ingredients, I generally do the same toppings - mozzarella, salami, pepperoni, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted capsicum.


I'm still not a hundred percent on photographing pizza, I'm afraid...

***

A couple of days ago, I decided to bake. I was going to bake something from scratch, but then I got lazy and used a packet mix vanilla cake. The temptation was too great. I did, however, add my own touch.



I decided to make two-tone cupcakes. I mixed a teaspoon of instant coffee with some hot water, and added that to half the cake batter, along with some finely chopped pecans. I mixed a couple of teaspoons of cocoa powder through the other half of the batter.


 Then I just dropped a spoonful of the coffee and pecan batter into prepared muffin pans, topped with a spoonful of the chocolate batter. I sprinkled half of the cupcakes with more chopped pecans. The other half I iced...


I probably needed more cocoa powder to make the two-tone effect more apparent. Also, I don't think my halves were really halves. The cupcakes were still very tasty, though.


Until next time!

- Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment